WARNING! OpenOffice

Most Windows based products will change the file types to themselves. It
does not apply to an individual document, but to the file extension itself.
I have not installed Open Office, but during the Install procedure, there
should be a place where you tell it not to do this. BTW: MS Office will do
this also.
For instance, .doc == Winword
              .ppt == Power Point
              .xls == Excel.