[REDHAT] RHL 7.3 is out! (fwd)

John Chambers wrote:

>(Let's see; is there a good, fast way to  check  to  see  whether  it
>supports  the  hardware  in  a given box.  This often turns out to be
>rather difficult to track down efficiently.  It'd be useful to have a
>set of pointers to copies of such a list.)

     I'm not sure I'ld trust such a list even if it did exist.  I have
a system with a SMC ethernet card based on an actual DEC 'tulip'
ethernet chip.  I've think that I've run RH Linux on it since around
RH 6.0.  When I upgraded to RH 7.1 (which I'm still running on that
machine, yeah, I'm behind), I couldn't get the network card to work at
first.  It seems that somehow support for my particular card was
dropped/broken in the 'tulip' driver.  Fortunately, the alternate
'de4x5' driver, did work.  Oh, that shots down your 'odd versions' are
better theory as well...

				Bill Bogstad
				bogstad at pobox.com