blu.org mailing list memberships reminder

You are correct. If you look at the mailman site, it explains some of the
reasons, and that the passwords are very weak.
Many web based systems allow you to receive your password by email.
Majordomo did not have any real protection from someone changing your email
options.

One of the advantages of mailman is that email addresses are displayed as
"foo at <domain>" which makes it more difficult for harvesting.

Actually, the monthly mailing are a real pain in the ass for John and me.
Someone gets a mailing from mailman-owner, then replies and asks us to
remove him/her from your list.

My stock response is that we run 20 listservs, each run by an independent
user group. Here is how to unsubscribe (using the URL with <listname>
instead of the real name of the list I don't know). Certainly, we have
tools to figure out what lists an email address is on, but I don't as a
matter of policy touch any list that I don't run. If anyone has further
questions they should direct them to their list owners.