Bizarre redirection failure

| I am more comfortable with POSIX shell syntax where
| foo > fubar 2>&1
| AFAIK, your syntax should work for the TCSH except maybe don't have a space
| between the > and the &.
| make test >& test.log &

Actually, I didn't type that space. I used >& as usual, and
the space comes from the history mechanism.

I do use bash occasionally, but I find (t)csh better as  an
interactive shell.  Maybe "better" isn't the right word.  I
find (t)csh somewhat less frustrating than bash or ksh.  It
takes fewer tries to get things like loops and history refs
right with the csh clones.  Csh's if and foreach constructs
are somewhat easier to type and get right the first time.

(Of course, not everyone types conditionals and  for  loops
to  an  interactive  shell, probably because it ain't easy.
I've often been called a showoff for doing such things. ;-)