Verizon DSL question

At 11:22 AM 4/30/02 -0400, Patrick R. McManus wrote:
>There's a little too much verizon bashing going on in this thread
>without any first hand stories. While I was skeptical going in, I
>actually have this service and have been satisfied with it.

Oops. I didn't mean to be bashing Verizon's DSL service. My friend was
happy with the service as it had generally little downtime and it was
relatively cheap - cheaper than my SE account. I do know that he DID have a
contract, so I guess he got in on a different deal than you. A previous
employer also had business class DSL w/ Verizon (multimegabit UL & DL) and
it was generally ok. Things get a bit better once we finally found (after
prolonged problems) that the pairs had been switched twice. Once to
reverse, and once back again. The tech couldn't figure out why it was
working in the first place, or who had been incompetent enough to wire it
like that.

I've heard all the horror stories about ILEC evilness, but I know it
doesn't happen to everyone everytime. As for the PPPoE, I just dislike the
extra layer it brings, and the IP instability you mentioned. I LOVE having
a static IP for my DSL at home as it means I don't have to use dyndns.org
or the like. (Did you know dyndns is located in Cambridge IIRC?) They work
well, but it's just one more thing I have to make sure is running on my
server at home.

Drew

Drew Taylor                     JA[P|m_p]H
http://www.drewtaylor.com/      Just Another Perl|mod_perl Hacker
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com      *** God bless America! ***
Speakeasy.net: A DSL provider with a clue. Sign up today.
http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/29655