Laptop help needed

I just purchased an IBM ThinkPad A31 ? the salesman said the hardware on
this machine was compatible with RedHat 7.2. My goal: dual boot the hard
drive - Windows XP and RH 7.2
Before taking the plunge, I asked hardware support at RedHat for
confirmation ? here was their reply:

<quote>
IBM has not to my knowledge certified any laptops, so I don't have the
hardware to try out. I can't swear to the software, modem or sound
working, and the video will need tweaking to get 1400x1050 (not a normal
mode listed in Xconfigurator, but doable). If he has a support contract
he can call in and we can work with him to try to make it work.
<end quote>
(I don?t have a support contract)

Has anyone tried this with the ?A? series ThinkPad?

> Here are the particulars of my laptop:
> Currently running Windows XP Professional (I have purchased a full version in
> anticipation, since the recovery CD's aren't available yet)
> Pentium 4
> 1.60GHz
> 256MB RAM (will be upgraded to 512 next week)
> Disk drive: IC25N040ATCS04-0
> Display adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
> DVD/CD-ROM: Matshita UJDA720 DVD/CDRW
> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: Intel 82801CAM Ultra ATA Storage Controller-248A,
> Primary and Secondary IDE Channels
> Infrared devices: IBM ThinkPad fast infrared port
> Modem: Agere Systems AC'97 Modem
> Monitor: IBM ThinkPad 1400X1050 LCD panel
> Network adapters: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
> Audio Codecs
> Legacy Audio Drivers
> Legacy Video Capture Devices
> Media Control Devices
> SoundMAX  Integrated Digital Audio
> Video Codecs
> System devices:
>     ACPI Fixed Feature Button
>     ACPI Lid
>     ACPI Sleep Button
>     ACPI Thermal Zone
>     Direct memory access controller
>     IBM PM Device
>     Intel 82801BAM/CAM PCI Bridge - 2448
>     Intel 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller - 2483
>     Intel 82801CAM LPC Interface Controller - 248C
>     Intel 8245 Processor to AGP Controller - 1A31
>     Intel 8245 Processor to I/O Controller - 1A30
>     ISAPNP Read Data Port
>     Microcode Update Device
>     Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller
>     Microsoft ACPI-Complient System
>     Microsoft Composite Battery
>     Motherboard resources
>     Numeric data processor
>     PCI bus
>     Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
>     Programmable interrupt controller
>     System board
>     System CMOS/real time clock
>     System speaker
>     System timer
>     Terminal Server Device Redirector
> Universal Serial Bus controllers
>     Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2482
>     Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2484
    Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2487

rob at r2es.com