Hard disks

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Kent Borg wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 12:57:20PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > I am considering buying a new hard disk for my Linux PC for the explicit
> > purpose of backup.
> > [...]
> > However, tapes to provide a compact copy of data that can be placed
> > offsite.
>
> The thing that really bugs me about tapes is that they are so slow.

The thing that bugs me about tapes is that the only way to know if a tape
is good is to read through the whole tape, becayse most likely one failure
point will lose you everything after it on the tape, especially if you use
compression.

Burning CD's sometimes fails, but at least you know right away .  That's
what I back up to.  My backup scripts create iso files that I burn at
will.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and
DK KD  in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks."
DDDD                                                  -Joe E. Lewis