From: Christoph Doerbeck A242369 cdoerbec at cso.fmr.com
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:11:28 -0400
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: New Cluster...problems recognizing ethernet adapter

I have a system with a SisXXX network card (nice $6 item :-).  It's worked
fine for months, although I did get frequent errors relating to SMP interrupt
funk (not quite clear as to why).  I eventually swapped it out for a 3com.

But, I do remember that in order to get it to work on a RH62 system, I had
to update the kernel to the very latest and greatest RH had pushed out.  The
driver was NOT part of the out-of-the-box RH62 kernel.  Try updating your
kernel...

Depending on how big your headache is going to be, perhaps you better off
buying other network cards.  Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but your network
is the life blood of your cluster.  You sure you want to use the bottom
of the barrel. Check the beowolf mail-lists and see what's worked well for
other folks.