RAID Munging Question

Not exactly, we did have to swap the failed drive out of the way
physically since we bonked hda....  The following the reboot, the system
came up fine.

The box hung because a DMA transfer was still trying to talk to hdb
which we powered off.  I'm still curious if there were hdparms we could
enable/disable to improve the RAID-challenged (E)IDE bus.

My first priority is figuring out exactly how to "encapsulate" (to
borrow terms from Veritas) a root/boot disk in RAID1 after having
installed a traditional (non-raid) system.