Discuss digest, Vol 1 #193 - 11 msgs

Thanks.  I'm really desperate now because I can't watch TV or record
shows tonite.  ;-)

I only have one 40GB hard drive (slave) attached to my system via the
secondary IDE channel.  I can't use the primary channel because the
connector is blocked by a cable holder (stupid Dell rackmount design.)
I use a bootable floppy to load Linux.  They call it "TivoMad" because
in addition to the kernel, it has a bunch of Tivo disk utilities on it.
The first problem I have is that I'm not sure how to properly partition
and format the hard drive under DOS.  I tried two different procedures
that both failed.  The first was to create a primary partition for the
whole disk and the second attempt was creating a minimal primary
partition with the remainder of the disk on the extended partition.  I
then created one logical partition that spanned the entire extended
partition.  However, when I boot into Linux using the TivoMad floppy, it
says: "block 0 has signature c033 instead of 1492" followed by "unknown
partition table"  So, I'm thinking that somehow the disk wasn't
partitioned or formatted properly.  Under MS-DOS, I am able to copy
files to the partitions though.  The other idea is that somehow that
boot floppy kernel doesn't have VFAT support like you are suggesting.
But the documentation and examples all use /mnt/dos so you would think
that it would have it.  I'm going to try using my real Linux boot drive
(SCSI) to see if that works.  I didn't want to connect it because I was
afraid that I may accidently copy over it but perhaps it can help me
debug this.  I may also try using the boot CD-ROM but I'll have to
remove that cable holder to get access to the primary ide channel...

Frustrated,
Robert

Message: 8