Verizon & Ports

are you talking about verizon dsl?

I have that service and 21,22,and 8080 are all still open for me..

indeed, 8080 being a high numbered port would be very difficult for
verizon to shutdown as some of your regular outgoing services
(i.e. http clients) can use it as a src port and would expect to have
packets coming back to the same address ;)

To this point verizon actually has a pretty good rep on these
issues.. as I understand it, even port 80 was open until code
red/nimda caused a nightmare because of all the webservers on
cable/dsl lines that people didn't even know they were running.

They could just filter incoming SYNs to that address, but that's
atypical. Have you exhausted other possibilities?

-P

[Abhishake Pathak: Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:32:33PM -0800]