Benefits of owning a domain (was Re: Cross Yahoo off the list of free e-mail services!)

On 21 Mar 2002, Mark Komarinski wrote:

=>I have ATTBI/M1/Comcast cable modem and am using TZO.COM as the DNS
=>provider for wayga.org.  All of wayga.org (web, e-mail, etc) is sitting
=>in my basement along with a client that hits TZO with my current IP
=>address.  If ATT changes my IP address, it will get registered with TZO
=>within the hour.
=>
=>On the down side, it's $60/yr for the DNS services, plus whatever
=>extortion^W fees netsol charges for the domain.
=>
=>-Mark
I'm on RCN cablemodem. To get my domain working, I use the following:

* http://www.zoneedit.com as my DNS provider. In addition, they also act
  as my secondary mx record. Total cost for DNS is free. Cost for the mail
  backup service is $10/year.

* ddclient to update zoneedit.

* dhcpcd. (Do *not* use pump. Use rpm -e pump)

* And the purcahse of the domain from godaddy was only 9/year.

:-)

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ