unblock port 80

   From: Paul Iadonisi <pri.blu at iadonisi.to>
   Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:04:32 -0500

   Not only do they 'let' you, but they explicitly believe it is your right.
   >From the terms of service (http://www.speakeasy.net/tos):

       Speakeasy believes in the right of the individual to publish information
       they feel is important to the world via the Internet. Unlike many ISP's,
       Speakeasy allows customers to run servers (web, mail, etc.) over their
       Internet connections.

   My impression when I first read their ToS was, 'Wow! An ISP that has a clue
   really does exist.'

I've signed up, but the installation hasn't gone through yet (I did
this less than a week ago; they told me it would probably take a few
weeks).  Certainly my conversation with their sales rep bears this
out; he knew what he was talking about, corrected my own confusion (I
thought that ADSL required a separate phone line, so I needed to
figure out how to transition my existing access), and didn't seem
inclined to try to rush me through the process.  I'm looking forward
to it.

They seem to be a few dollars more than Verizon or such, but it's
small change in the overall scheme of things to get a provider that
treats me as a customer rather than as a calf, sucking on the teat of
the entertainment-retail complex.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net