[pri.blu@iadonisi.to: Re: large file problem in rh7.1]

*sigh* I hit reply instead of reply-to-all again.
----- Forwarded message from Paul Iadonisi <pri.blu at iadonisi.to> -----

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:46:16 -0500
From: Paul Iadonisi <pri.blu at iadonisi.to>
To: Ken Gosier <ken at kg293.net>
Subject: Re: large file problem in rh7.1

  Curious.  I automount (nfs) my home directory at home.  The server uses
ext3 (Red Hat 7.2 all around).  I have this problem as well, but *only* on
the automounted filesystem.  A typical example is the Java SDK 1.3.1 downloaded
from Sun's site.  It comes as a .bin file, which is just some encoded binary
file prepended with a script to unravel it into an rpm
(j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386-rpm.bin).  You 'chmod +x' it and then run it
like a script.  It fails when I run it from my automounted home directory,
but if I copy it to /tmp, it always success.
  I've seen this in lots of other cases and it nothing ever shows up in
the syslog of either the server or the client.  The working around I've been
using is cat'ing the file to /dev/null:

cat j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386-rpm.bin > /dev/null

after which the file resides in cache, it seems, and it then runs fine.  I
have no idea why cat works and nothing else does, but I swear, it works without
fail.
  Very bizarre.  Sorry I can't offer help, but I'm just confirming that I've
seen very similar problems.