large file problem in rh7.1

A while ago, when backing up my wife's system, I found that the tar file was too large. It fit fine in
the directory, but any attempt to manipulate it resulted in an error. In my case, it was something
like "failure to stat". The issue was that there was a hard limit on the size of an individual file, and
the stat(2) system call was the guy that caused the errors. Not sure if this is related, but possibly if
you do an ls -l on the file. In my case, even an ls -l fails on that file. I was able to create the file,
just not be able to untar it or anything else.