[pri.gnhlug@iadonisi.to: Dialup with RH72]

Jeff Kinz writes:

| Paul - I think your last idea - that a lot more work needs to be done is
| the problem and it isn't limited to RedHat.  Ideally, (hah!), the system would
| auto-configure itself into exactly what is needed after asking the user/installer
| a few simple questions.
|
| Naturally this is not easy.

And a major part of the  problem  is  the  difficulty  of  doing  the
required  testing.  I've written lots of my own config thingies; as a
long-time tcl/tk hacker, this is easy. But to make a generally-useful
config  tool, I'd need access to systems where I could do the obvious
testing. I've never had such access, so all I can do is make a few of
my  own  tools  that  work  on  my  home machines but are pretty much
useless to anyone else.  I've had jobs at places where there was lots
of  hardware  around,  but doing this sort of thing wasn't part of my
contract, so I couldn't do it there.  At home,  I  couldn't  possibly
afford the necessary hardware. So, although I could probably do a lot
of the work, it isn't going to happen any time soon.

I'd imagine that I'm not the only one who would make such comments.