2nd hard disk for MySQL/PostgreSQL database under RedHat 7.2

I suppose one thing to also ask is whether or not RAID ought to be considered,
especially on a SCSI bus. The current IDE RAID options are sparse at best(unfortunately)given
the 3Ware pullout, and SCSI RAID is still a better choice.

>[Jerry Feldman: Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:24:58AM -0500]
>> SCSI vs. EIDE.
>> JABR mentiuoned that it is best to use SCSI if one has a SCSI controller.
However, I remember
>> seeing recently that IDE (or EIDE) today will give you just as good performance.

>I don't want to bash IDE and the fact that they are a good deal for
>the normal desktop.. but to say that they will give you performance
>even competitive with scsi is not my experience at all.
>
>typical scsi throughput is 35MB/s.. cheetah's will do 40.. typicaly
>udma/100 IDE performance (if you've got a chipset driver to support
>DMA at that rate, which depends on your controller under linux) is
>25.. I think the best I've come across is 30..
>
>scsi seek times are typically much faster too.. western digital's ide
>caviar drives (ata/100) are 8.9ms and their corresponding 7200-spin
>scsi drives are 6.9.. that's a 25% difference and in a seek-intensive
>space like DB's you see that bigtime.
>

>> Today, IDE drives are still significantly less expensive than SCSI:
>> eg. A 7200RPM 100GB EIDE drive is about $175, and  the largest SCSI I could
find is 73.4GB
>> (10,000RPM) for about $465.
>
>yep.. $/MB is heavy in favor of IDE.. however, lots of times spindles
>are just as impt as total MBs.. so you end up buying a fair number of
>smaller drives instead of a single big one.. IDE is still cheaper, but
>on the smaller drives the differential is a lot less and therefore
>going cheap is less tempting..
>
>> For a commercial server, I would certainly go SCSI (or possibly firewire...).
But for a personal