Abit BP6 system will not POST

At 11:55 AM 2/25/2002 -0500, Owen B. Mehegan wrote:
>A few days ago, I woke up and found my computer frozen. I reset it, and the
>system would not come back up. The drives would spin, but the system did not
>beep and wouldn't POST. Eventually, I took out one CPU, and the box seemed
>to boot fine. Awhile later, however, it crashed again, and would not reboot.
>After a few more tries, I got it to load and run the memory test, and then
>it failed again. Sometimes the system does not even POST. Other times it
>stops running/freezes after the memory test, during the OS loading process,
>or in the BIOS settings menus - NEVER seen that happen before.
>
>So far, I have pulled one CPU, re-seated the video card, cleared the CMOS,
>and swapped/removed RAM from the system, all without success. Up until now,
>the system has run fine, and I've made no recent changes to the hardware.
>The problem sounds like it could be heat, but even this morning, after the
>system had been off overnight, it would not even POST. Pertinent specs:
>
>Any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem would be much
>appreciated. Thanks!
>
>/owen

umm- just a thought - Have you tried booting with just the "other" cpu
in case its the currently resident cpu which is flaky ?
Also - how old is your power supply ?
--
Jeff Kinz, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA. Email may contain words incorrectly
generated by Speech Recognition software. "jkinz at ultranet.com" copyright 2001.