Wireless PCMCIA cards

Thank you for your help. I don't plan to use WEP, so that "feature" is
worthless to me. Do you have a good source for used Cisco cards? The
cheapest new ones I saw in the 340 family were about $150 - way too
expensive for me. After I posted, I did some more research and had decided
against the Proxim cards. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ was
mentioned as a good resource.

My other option is the Orinoco series, specifically the Silver or Gold
cards. There are drivers for all my needed OS'es, and they got very good
ratings. I have found the Silver line for $60, and the Gold for ~$20 more.
Do you know details about the differences between these two cards?

The card right now will be used by my wife at school w/ their wireless
networks, so I'm not worried about AP ATM. I will check out the RG-1000 or
Linksys models you mentioned when I go wireless at home. I have a linksys
router now, and have been very happy with it.

Thanks,
Drew

At 01:21 PM 2/21/2002 -0500, Bob Keyes wrote:
>In theory, any card and access point certified as 'wifi' (802.11b)
>compatible should work with each other.
>
>I highly recommend the Cisco cards, if you can afford them. You can
>probably get the older (342) cards for about $60, used. Cisco access
>points are very expensive. You may want to settle for a cheaper AP,
>linksys is a popular choice, though the closeout price of the Lucent/Avaya
>RG-1000 makes it attractive, and theoretically a bit better performance
>than the Linksys.
>
>I don't have experience with Proxim products, but I do recall hearing that
>their FH Access Points weren't very good.

Drew Taylor                     JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
http://www.drewtaylor.com/      Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com      *** God bless America! ***