X on old IBM PC 330

I have a really obscure question (I won't feel bad if no one responds) --

I'm running OpenBSD 3.0 and I'm trying to get X (Xfree86 4.something)
running.  xf86cfg sets it up to run the vesa video driver, and it runs
okay.  My main problem is that there are tons of screen artifacts that
show up everywhere.  If I refresh the screen everything is fine until I
move or open a window.  The video chip on the motherboard is an S3
trio64+.

It really isn't all that big of a deal because the machine is only being
used as my firewall but it would be nice to be able to run netscape
for those times when lynx or wget aren't cutting it.  ;)

Thanks in advance to all who reply,
Jon