Linux newbie (fwd)

This is no problem. The 3 major distributions of Linux, SuSE, RedHat and
Mandrake are relatively easy to install. They all have graphical
installers. When installing, you simply tell the installer to place Linux
on the second disk. (Disks in Linux are labeled as (for IDE):
/dev/hda - Master disk on the primary IDE channel
/dev/hdb - Slave on primary channel
/dev/hdc - Master on Secondary channel
/dev/hdd - Slave on Secondary channel

Partitions are labeled from 1 to 4 for primary partitions, and 5 and up for
logical partitions. Let Linux do the partitioning for you. I recommend that
you buy a boxed set with the books.

The only other thing is the boot loader. The Linux boot loader is called
LILO. It should be installed in the Master Book Record (MBR) of the first
disk. Most of the distros will set up Lilo to boot both Linux and Windows.

If you want to be able to run both Linux and Windows simultaneously, there
are some products that allow that, which are called Virtual Machines. One
is VMWare and another is Win4Lin. Win4Lin allows Windows to run as a
process under Linux, and actually uses the Linux file system. VMWare
separates the different OSs.

My personal preference for Linux distro is SuSE.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group