Wireless router question.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Adam Russell wrote:

> If you'd like a completely custom solution for a fraction of the cost of a commercial product you can do as I have and make your own with a 486,Lucent WaveLAN card and these directions:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/wavelan.html

> Of course, you can do the same thing with Linux, Solaris, SCO, or whatever else your heart desires.

The method you quote isn't an AP, but may work for a small network. To
quote from that document:

"In theory, there is no reason why the card could not be configured as a
true access point. This means acting as a gateway between clients (which
do not communicate directly). However, the details needed to implement
this have not been made public. The alternative is to run in IBSS mode
(independent BSS), in which all traffic is peer-to-peer (as with a shared
ethernet cable)."

-bob