Getting sshd started at boot ...

Jim Kelly-Rand wrote:
| I have a similar problem with the samba deamon. All my users can log in to the local
| machine, but when they try to access a samba share they get an error mssg. to the
| effect ERR.... ERR...  "bad password pair in Tree connect...". I have not been able to
| cure this problem by repopulating the smbpasswd file via the FM. I have read a lot on
| the PAM modules which do all authentication checking, but there seems to be know
| mechanism to check or repair a corrupted database. I unconverted from Shadow passwords
| for the moment and that had no effect. I should post my error messages to the PAM list
| but no time to do that now. I don't know if it is possible to uninstall PAM and
| reinstall and still have access to the system.
| Not much help I'm afraid.

Hmmm ...  I did notice the acronym PAM in the  ssh  INSTALL
doc,  but  so far I don't really know what that means.  The
only PAM stuff that "man -k" knows about are:

pam_console (8)      - control permissions for users at the system console
pam_xauth (8)        - forward xauth keys between users
userhelper (8)       - A helper interface to pam.

None of these seems to contain any  clues  explaining  what
it's  all  about.  The ssh docs seem to say that PAM may or
not be installed, and I don't seem to find anything at  all
that  tells  me whether I'm using it.  I'm just supposed to
know, I guess.

Methinks there is a bit of improvement possible in the  way
this is documented.

Maybe I'll recompile ssh with PAM enabled. I didn't do that
before,  and  it  worked (mostly) until just recently.  But
it's possible that I'll learn something fromt the exercise.