Getting ssd started at boot ...

I have a similar problem with the samba deamon. All my users can log in to the local
machine, but when they try to access a samba share they get an error mssg. to the
effect ERR.... ERR...  "bad password pair in Tree connect...". I have not been able to
cure this problem by repopulating the smbpasswd file via the FM. I have read a lot on
the PAM modules which do all authentication checking, but there seems to be know
mechanism to check or repair a corrupted database. I unconverted from Shadow passwords
for the moment and that had no effect. I should post my error messages to the PAM list
but no time to do that now. I don't know if it is possible to uninstall PAM and
reinstall and still have access to the system.
Not much help I'm afraid.
Jim Kelly-Rand