monitoring mailfiles with procmail and (mutt|pine)

Hi all,

I'm finally getting into the world of procmail, and find it useful
for sorting out messages. But one difficulty I seem to be having
is being notified of when I actually receive a message in a particular
folder. The suboptimal solution I'm using right now is to simply tail the
procmail log file to see when messages arrive and what folder they go in
to, and then fire up either mutt or pine and direct it to that folder.
Anyone out there have a good text-based setup for watching multiple mailfiles?
I know that I could do it easily if I was in xwindows with gkrellm's built-in
mailfile watcher, but I'm trying to find something that will work from a terminal
window while I am actually in one of the mail programs. Perhaps I'm missing
an obvious feature of mutt or pine... ;-)

Thanks,

Peter