Ext3 as module

Unfortunately this is true _only_ if your machine shuts down
cleanly.  If your machine "crashes", it will not be able to
mount your ext3 partition as an ext2 file system.  This is
because the ext3 journaling would cause the file system to
be "inconsistent" as far as ext2 is concerned, and the markings
of non-committed journal entries will prevent ext2 from

Another way to get around the problem is to supply the ext3
module in an initrd.  However, I would recommend you just
compile ext3 into the kernel.

-derek