Ext3 as module

I am configuring a new kernel and under the help
for the ext3 FS I read something to the effect "
if you compile this as a module be aware that the
file system for your root partition cannot be
compiled as a module..."

On my standard install of RH7.2  an 'lsmod' shows
ext3 and jbd loaded as modules and in fstab '/' is
mounted as an ext3 partition.

There seems to be a contradiction here. I am
assuming that the writer of the help file left out
some elaboration on the subject to the effect that
the ext3 journalling is an overlay on the ext2 FS
and as long as ext2 is compiled into the kernel
there is no problem mounting root as an ext3 FS.

Any commentary would be enjoyed.

Jim Kelly-Rand