[lugs] Pinging shows unknown host

Vriz wrote:

> I'm connecting to a network with the domain name test.com. My PCs with
> the windows OS (hostname is pc1 and pc2) could ping each other with
> their hostname or hostname with domain name. I installed Redhat 7.2 on
> another system and change the hostname to pc3 by modifying the
> /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network files and restarting the PC
> (another other elegant way to change the hostname using a system
> command? did I miss out any other files?).
>
> pc3 could ping pc1 and pc2, but pc1 and pc2 couldn't ping pc3, and
> shows the unknown host msg. When I type domainname in pc3, it shows
> none. Therefore, I run domainname test.com on pc3 to set the
> domainname (is this necessary? I believe so. What files are changed by
> this command?). I still couldn't ping pc3 from my windows or other
> linux systems. Could someone help me with this? Thank you.

Perhaps your windows pcs are resolving each other using some windows
specific name resolution (something over samba or netbios or something),
which your unix pc obviously isn't part of unless you have configured
samba appropriately.

As some others have implied, it's rather hard to pinpoint the exact
fault without more specific information.  How are you doing the ping?
 "ping pc2" and "ping pc2.test.com" are different.  What's in your hosts
file on pc3?  If you have entries for both pc1 and pc2, of course pings
from pc3 work properly.

In the end, for such a small network, it's probably easiest to just make
it "work" rather than figuring out where the problem lies - add entries
for pc1, pc2 and pc3 to your /etc/hosts or
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts respectively.