  From: Mathias Koerber
  To: Vriz ; t - DCLUG ; t - Singapore LUG ; zt - Boston Linux Mail List ; zt - New York Linux User Grp ; zt - Northern Virginia LUG
  Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 3:54 PM
  Subject: RE: [lugs] Pinging shows unknown host

  Who told you you could use the domainname test.com?
  It's not reserved for testing or anyone's use, it actually belongs to
  someone. While this may not be your immediate problem, it
  sufficiently obscures what may be going on.

  Could it be that your Linux system is actually querying the nameservers for
  the actual owner of test.com and coming up empty (because maybe they don't
  have the name you are using)?

  Registrant:
  Test.com, Inc (TEST38-DOM)
     1501 Euclid Ave., Suite 407
     Cleveland, OH 44115
     US

     Domain Name: TEST.COM

     Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
        Witt, Andrew  (AWE264)  ajw at TEST.COM
        Test.com, Inc.
        1501 Euclid Ave., Suite 407
        Cleveland, OH  44115
        US
        216-502-1052 216-502-0060

     Record last updated on 03-Jan-2002.
     Record expires on 19-Jun-2003.
     Record created on 18-Jun-1997.
     Database last updated on 17-Jan-2002 13:49:00 EST.