Revising mount point label

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, jbk wrote:

> I have just installed RH7.2 on its own box. No
> more dual booting. Anyway I created two ext3
> partitions, one labeled '/' and the other '/home',
> and now I have decided that I would like to move
> '/home' to '/' and label/mount hda3 as 'data'. I
> believe I can do this without repartitioning. I
> will do this when booted to linux single so that
> '/' is the only mounted partition. Do I use mke2fs
> or its equivalent to remame the partition? Will
> the '/home' directory be recreated on reboot? I am
> not concerned about loosing any custimizations.
> Should I mv '/home' to '/newhome' and then relabel
> hda3. I assume that I will have to maually make a
> new entry for '/data' in 'fstab' since it is not a
> standard directory name.

Paul Iadonisi already did a nice job of explaining the particulars.  Since
you seem to be thinking about how to organize your filesystem, you might
like to take a look at the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).  I'm not going to tell you that you should
or shouldn't follow their recommendations.  Just thought you might find it
interesting to see.

This standard enables
* Software to predict the location of installed files and directories, and
* Users to predict the location of installed files and directories.

--

-Ron-
https://www.yellowbank.com/