cron behavior

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, John Abreau wrote:

> Yes, I ran into this same problem 15 years ago when I wanted to
> use cron to send out monthly reminders for BCS meetings.
> Unfortunately, this is indeed the "correct" behavior for cron; the
> day-of-week field is inherently broken by design. I've never really
> understood the rationale for it, as this seriously limits cron's
> flexibility.

There are a series of Cron substitutes.  Anyone have experience with them
and this sort of issue?  I'm wondering if the substitutes have a different
method of scheduling that enables them to more adequately handle this sort
of thing.  I know with backups and various other business-process sorts of
thing, the "fourth monday" thing happens a lot.  So I'd be kind of
surprised to find that no one has solved it short of shim scripting.

--
whatever it is, you can find it at http://www.bluesock.org/~willg/
except Will--you can only see him in real life.