Broadband Shuffle

> How is latency?  That's the one complaint I always hear against satellite.
> I know a few people with it, one of whom I believe uses Starband, and he
> can never get better than 500 ms ping times to anything a hop or two away.
> Download speeds are great, though from what I hear, just don't try an ssh
> session unless you're patient. =)

The latency is high, and it's inherent to the medium. After all, you
have a path length (round trip) of at least 90,000 miles (plus whatever
the length of the terrestrial path to the site being pinged is), since a
geostationary satellite is in an orbit about 22,500 miles above the
earth. That means you have a speed of light (186,000 mi/sec) delay of
about half a second.