Broadband Shuffle

Unfortunately DSL is very limited to distance to the CO. Additionally, the larger communities will
get it well before the smaller. Some people can get DSL via ISDN (sucks but better than dialup).
One competitor is sattelite. Some sattelite systems are 2 way and also support Linux. I know a
couple of Starband users, and have heard zero complaints. One guy was up the poll PAMing his
dish the other day, then when we had some snow he was pleased to see that his Internet
connection stayed up. Sattelite is no panacaeia., but it gives the single cable company in your
town some competition. It is important to have the sattelite properly installed. Marc Evans has
Starband in NH. He used the same installer that my friend in Holland, Ma used.
On 20 Dec 2001 at 15:42, Numberwhun ***** wrote:

> It stinks that some of us really have no choice in the matter.  I live in
> Plaistow, NH where there is no DSL service, only AT&T Mediaone or
> ***blech*** dial-up.  I just cannot go back to a d/u connection.  So, I
> guess we will have to see how there service is.
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org