First open source OS

BSD was NOT fully open source into way after GNU/Linux. people do some
research...

On Thursday 20 December 2001 12:15 pm, richb at pioneer.ci.net wrote:
> GAF wrote:
> > They state thet Linux is the first completely open source operating
> > system. I think they are wrong on a couple of counts. FreeBSD predates
> > Linux, but was kind of overshadowed by the AT&T lawsuit.
>
> I'm not too sure about that.  I brought up Linux in December 1992 and I
> don't recall FreeBSD being completely open at that point--you still had to
> use some AT&T proprietary code to get it up and running.  I chose Linux
> over FreeBSD at the time because of that, and because of the active
> newsgroups which seemed to have more momentum at the time.  FreeBSD's
> popularity surged in 1994 or thereabouts.
>
> >  Also, IBM provded OS (both
> > MFT and MVT) and VS (VS1 and VS2) in source form in the 70's, and I
> > believe that VM370 source was also available free of charge. Of course,
> > one needed either a 360 or 370, so it was a bit different.
>
> In similar fashion, the TOPS-10 source code (in PDP-10 assembly language)
> was open to all customers of the $400,000+ series of PDP-10 processors.  My
> career started out answering SPRs for code-readers at the likes of ADP
> (the payroll company) and CNA (the insurance company) and most especially
> the various colleges which had these systems.
>
> The term "open" has been redefined by the movement started by the Free
> Software Foundation.  The implication these days is that an "open source"
> system can be modified and made available to later users, so long as
> attribution is given to the original author.  Modifications to
> proprietary-but-open source code have to be sent back to the original
> author, who then makes the decision on making it available.  For example,
> an embedded-Linux vendor can incorporate new device drivers or
> memory-management enhancements without sending them back to Linus, but an
> IBM or DEC reseller would have been under licensing restrictions.
>
> -rich

UNIX *IS* user frindly,It is only selective choosing who his friends are.

1110010 1100101 1101011 110010
   R           E            K            2
Unix/Linux system administrator
http://www.linuxbusca.com
MetroWestBostonLinuxUsertGroup
"good, updated aplications and good administration! is the key to security
not one can live with out the other". by rek2