Looking for Macintosh parts...

kgleason at ma.ultranet.com wrote:

> I have been given an early present...a Macintosh PowerBook 5300cs (Used). Only one problem, no OS nor CDROM. Does anyone know where I can get the required components/software to get this fella going? Is Macintosh still selling these components? Who is?

First, the CD-ROM. The 5300 has a SCSI port, so you can use just about
any external SCSI drive. You'll need an HDI-30 adapter, though; the 5300
has a weird socket, not the usual Mac DB-25 or either of the
industry-standard SCSI connectors (50 pin Centronics or the high density
SCSI-2 connector). Fortunately, HDI-30 adapters are still available.

The 5300 was originally shipped with System 7.5.2. The Mac OS versions
through 7.5.5 are free (their cost was bundled with the computer), so if
you can find someone with a copy, you can install it without cost.
(There are updates from 7.5.1 to 7.5.3 and from 7.5.3 to 7.5.5, that you
can probably still download from Apple, so if you find a CD with one of
the earlier members of the 7.5 series, you can upgrade it.) According to
the Apple web site, OS versions through 9 work; presumably 9.1 and 9.2
do also, but they're not mentioned on the specs page. OS X won't run on
the 5300 (nor on any PowerMac without a G3 or G4 processor), and it has
a RAM ceiling of 64MB in any case.

The Linux and Unix picture for the 5300, alas, is less bright. The
LinuxPPC kernel won't run on it, according to both linuxppc.com and
yellowdoglinux.com. You can, however, run MkLinux (mklinux.org), but
it's a less mature system. As for BSD Unix, neither OpenBSD nor NetBSD
works on the 5300, and FreeBSD doesn't have a PowerPC port at all.