vpn clients / cable modems

Ron Peterson <ron.peterson at yellowbank.com> wrote:

>Anyone ever run into trouble with cable modem ISP's disabling use of VPN
>client software, as per this article, being discussed on slashdot:

>http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66589,00.html

[snip]

I've used a Nortel IPSec VPN on M1 without problems.

I suspect that the "prohibition" against residential use is just a page
out of the M$ book: forbid people to do what you know they will anyway,
and save yourself the support costs. Plus, it's probably a legal hedge
against anyone claiming that they're really common carriers instead of
"content providers", so that they don't have to answer to a PUC.

Don't worry about it: at worst, you might have to divert the traffic
through some "consumer" site that serves large mpegs. That's the nice
thing about encryption: bits are bits.

Bill Horne