vpn clients / cable modems

Jonathan Arnold writes:
| > Has anyone ever had any experience to the contrary?  Either with AT&T, or
| > any other provider.  If so, that would be very useful information for me.
|
| My take on that article was that it was just like running servers from home.
| Even the ones that "expressly" forbid it, don't actually check. But they
| will get upset if the bandwidth usage gets too high. And in the end, that's
| all they really care about.

I wonder. It's talking about VPNs, and as others here have commented,
the  main  point of a VPN is to make a secure connection between home
machines and a LAN at work.  These are usually not going to  be  high
traffic.   It sounds a lot more like they're trying to get more money
by classifying this as "business".

It could be an interesting precedent.  "Our records show that  you've
been  using your voice line mostly for doing job interviews.  This is
clearly job related, so we're going to have to start charging you for
a business phone line."