Please review this paper I'm writing

Yes it does. :-) This is going a little OT form Linux, but here goes
anyway. I've always thought there should be a drop-in package that churches
or similar organizations could install to get "instant" websites w/ contact
info, calendars, mailing list, etc. I knew a guy in NC who had done it for
his church, and it was really slick, but simple. And it all ran off text
files, so no DB was needed. I like databases, but it's cool to not have to
rely on having one.

I almost began to do something like this for contract work, but never got
around to it. Thing is, I prefer perl over PHP, and most projects I've read
about use PHP. It's not that I'm against PHP, i just don't know it and I'd
rather spend my next week picking up python to impress the folks at my
second interview. :-)

But back to the topic, do you know of a package like I've described above?
I think it would be an instant hit if done flexibly enough that people like
your chairman could customize/run it. :-) And it would also generate some
consulting fees to install it for organizations that don't have the
technical expertise. Any interest in putting together something? It
certainly would not have to be fancy, just functional and easily customizable.

At 08:13 PM 12/13/2001 -0500, David Kramer wrote:
>The chairperson "knows a little about computers", and is less than
>diligent in doing the tasks assigned to her, but I've sorta been running
>things defacto (running meetings, running a committee mailing list I set
>up on my box, outlining the kinds of things we can do...), and she's just
>speaker-to-management[0].  Others in the group are highly technical, but
>have not done web development per se before.  That means I'll be doing
>most of the back-end development myself, but that's OK.
>
>One of our "prime directives" is to maintain privacy for the congregation.
>that means that the general public should not see phone numbers,
>birthdates of students, certain financial information, etc.  Another one,
>one we gave ourselves, is that we need to let committee members add their
>own content, instead of submitting it to us to post.  The only way to
>accomplish these objectives is to have a real honest-to-goodness
>professional security model.  Since I've already implemented this on my
>website[1], the work is pretty much done (maybe a
>little tweaking).
>
>Does that answer your question?  Thanks for taking the time to read it. By
>the way, the diagram was done in dia on my linux box, and exported as a
>PNG file.  I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, because it doesn have
>the normal ERD arrows for 1-n, n-n, n-1, 1-1, but it's not bad.

Drew Taylor                     JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
http://www.drewtaylor.com/      Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com      *** God bless America! ***
ICQ: 135298242