optical mouse /USB / laptop

What Sony laptop do you have?  There are a bunch of resources on the
internet that talk about installing various distributions with very
specific laptop setups.  Usually someone has tried to do what you're
trying to do before you have and has worked out the process involved and
documented it.

Sites:
  http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
  http://www.linux-laptop.net/sony.html