privacy

When working or contracting at a company, one needs to be aware of company policies as well
as general practices. Some companies do screen content, and many archive all email in both
directions. The archiving of email may be a legal requirement these days.
I know that several times we were asked not to delete any email or documents we may have
regarding a specific subject based on a lawsuit.

The bottom line is that email is not secure unless fully encrypted, and even then, if someone had
a reason to crack your emails, it can be done (at a sigfnificant cost).
On 10 Dec 2001 at 13:15, will wrote:
> On the flip flip side, I own part of a company that specializes in email
> issues for litigation.  My advice to you folks is don't use email for
> anything exciting.  It will definitely come back to haunt you.  Course, it
> may help you greatly--depending on which side of the "we got screwed" line
> you're on.  Following that thought, it's very possible that companies are
> increasing their Internet resource usage policies in order to reduce risk
> to themselves.
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group