privacy

My experience is that large companies (talking multiple sites with
hundreds if not thousands of employees) tend to see Internet usage as a
waste of employee time and employ fascist measures to reduce Internet
usage.  There may be members of the company that are comfortable with the
Internet--and even see the Internet as a very useful resource for speeding
up work, but the company generally frowns on such things.  The Internet is
scary to these people.

On the flip side, I think this is mostly relegated to large companies and
companies with a significant portion of older manager folks who haven't
gotten their hands around the Internet yet.

All the contracting gigs I've done so far have looked the other way in
terms of Internet/network usage.  One company only complained after one of
my co-workers built a server with 20 GB of mp3's and installed Shoutcast
on it which a good portion of us listened to all day--they said we were
producing so much network traffic that we were affecting access to their
mainframe.  Oops....

On the flip flip side, I own part of a company that specializes in email
issues for litigation.  My advice to you folks is don't use email for
anything exciting.  It will definitely come back to haunt you.  Course, it
may help you greatly--depending on which side of the "we got screwed" line
you're on.  Following that thought, it's very possible that companies are
increasing their Internet resource usage policies in order to reduce risk
to themselves.

Thoughts?
/will