XFree86 hates non root users!!! plz help!!!

I try to user 'startx' to start X Windows, it works when I try it in
root but not when I try it under a different user.  If I type 'startx'
which only has 'exec startkde' in the .xinitrc file it comes up with the
error.  I tried typing just 'Xwrapper' and it comes up with the hatched
screen so I know that Xwrapper is installed.

Dave