recruiters, etc...

1.  I used to have Blue Cross Blue Shield.  It cost me about $175/mo to
cover myself.  (If you have a family, be prepared to pay $500/mo!!!)
They set me up as a company "group", with me as the only member.  It was
actually pretty easy.  (I've gotten married since then and now on my
wife's policy... much cheaper.)

2. I structured as an S-Corporation.  It provided "corporate protection"
and makes you look a little bigger (maybe just bigger in your own eyes),
but requires a minimum ~$500 state tax filing fees, even if you don't
make any money.  I'd probably recommend just going as a sole proprietor
for now, maybe changing to a limited partnership later (assuming you get
a partner).  There are plenty of books available on these options... they
are all so-so. I'd somewhat recommend "Starting & Operating a Business in
Mass.", by Michael D. Jenkins.

3. I use Interpay.  It costs me about $30/month, but it saves a few
headaches.  (I try to avoid accounting stuff.)  They mail me checks for
myself, the state and the fed, every month.  (I chose to do payroll
monthly.)  And they file about 4 forms and payments quarterly
(unemployment insurance, state stuff, etc.)

If you simply become a "sole proprietor" rather than incorporate, it may
be easier for you than that?

You can try Quickbooks Pro, but their services will probably cost you the
same in the long run, since you'll need to subscribe to some recurring
services (tax table updates, etc.).  I use Quickbooks Pro for my
accounting needs (but not payroll).  I hate it, and the fact that the
Intuit company puts out annual updates that make their data files (your
account info) non-backwards compatible.... that means that if you give a
disk to your accountant who's running a newer version, they'll be able to
see your info and do your taxes, but they can't make any corrections for
you (aka "journal entries").  I've been stubborn about updating lately,
so my accountant has to print out his journal entries, and I copy them by
hand into my system.  The changes are always few, so I live with this for
now.   The Quickbooks upgrades simply don't offer much more than pretty
new icons, or new standard reports, IMHO.  Unfortunately, Quickbooks is
still the best "friendly" and affordable accounting package out there.
I've heard Peachtree's software  is geared a little more towards real
accountants, and I think they have the same nasty habit of annual upgrades.

My best advice is to find a nearby accountant who you feel can hold your
hand while your starting.  There is just so much crap to know.  So many
government organizations want to know about you and take their cut of
your pie.  And you don't want to be late with anything, cause they'll
take more.  But don't worry, once you're in the groove, it's easy... just
a nuisance.  I've found that accountants will gladly meet with you for
free to give some advice and hopefully bring you on board as a customer.
Look in your yellow pages for a CPA.

Good luck,

Chris Janicki
Industrious Activities, Inc.
http://www.ia-inc.com

Original Message dated 12/6/01, 12:48:52 AM
Author: "Kuan Lee" <kuanlee at erols.com>
Re: Re: recruiters, etc...:

To turn from recruiters to small business owners....

Since there are a lot of gurus on this list, a fair amount of people must
run their own 1-man consulting business.
I'm just getting started, have a ton of questions, and would really
appreciate a pointer to good resources.

Questions I have are like:
    1. How should I get health insurance coverage?
    2. What's a good way to structure the business, from an accounting
perspective?
    3. How do you pay yourself?  Important !!

Etc...
Any pointers would be helpful...including any good accountants that you
feel comfortable referring.

Thanks,
-==-
Kuan Lee