recruiters, etc...

One possibility is contractors resources:
http://www.contractorsresources.com/

Personally, when I started consulting in 1985, I was 1099. I purchased my own health insurance
(When I left my full time job., I just kept Tufts Healthplan, then I bought my own policy).

After a few years of banging my head against the wall with a few deadbeat clients, Margaret
Hamilton of Hamilton Technologies and Paras Traganos(went bankrupt), I have been working
mostly through agencies. Today, most agencies have decent health plans available for their
employees and consultants. Actually, I think the best policy was actually from an agency I would
never again work for or recommend, Modis - stay away from them at all costs. Actually, the HR
people at Modis in  Jacksonville were pretty decent.

If you incorporate, there are several agencies who will work directly with you for a negotiated fee.
You invoice them, they invoice their client, their client pays then you get paid. You take some of
the risk, but the fee is much lower. Some businesses will not hire you unless you are a w2
employee of an agency on their approved list. This is one area where Contractors Resources can
help.
On 5 Dec 2001 at 21:48, Kuan Lee wrote:

> To turn from recruiters to small business owners....
>
> Since there are a lot of gurus on this list, a fair amount of people must run their own 1-man consulting business.
> I'm just getting started, have a ton of questions, and would really appreciate a pointer to good resources.
>
> Questions I have are like:
>     1. How should I get health insurance coverage?
>     2. What's a good way to structure the business, from an accounting perspective?
>     3. How do you pay yourself?  Important !!
>
> Etc...
> Any pointers would be helpful...including any good accountants that you feel comfortable referring.
>
> Thanks,
> -==-
> Kuan Lee
> email:   kuanlee at erols.com