Wireless hubs et. al.

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 11:57, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> This poses another question:
> Assume:
> Cable Modem<====>CM Router(NAT)<------>LAN<----->WAP
> Does a WAP grab an ip address using DHCP, and can it also provide an ip address downstream:
> 	------z------Wireless device1, device2.....

I've got an Apple AirPort base station; I imagine the Linksys versions
would be fairly similar. There are a number of configuration options;
the one I use is to make it a separate network, where the base station
acts as a dhcp server for a different subnet than my wired network,
and it has a static address on the wired network. Another option it
provides is to manage s range of addresses on the same subnet as the
wired network, with or without dhcp services.

In light of the WAP vulnerabilities, I've been leaving the base station
unplugged most of the time; once I'm employed again, I plan on picking
up a second firewall box with the combined wired and wireless switches,
and trying it out with my current firewall blocking both the wireless
and the cable connections.

As I've only got ssh enabled inbound (protocol 2 only), I'm guessing
this should work transparently, by setting a default rule in the outer
firewall to forward all incoming traffic by default to the inner
firewall.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org