Suppressing logins

"Jerry Feldman" <gaf at blu.org> writes:

> As a long time Unix user, I can't conceive of a system where logins are not used.
>
> At the installfest, Pamela King wanted to know if there was a way to suppress
> the need for a login. (I know that I can write a replacement for login and
> getty) I don't know of a simple way to configure a Linux system not to require
> a login. I know that Pamela and many other Windows and Mac people don't
> understand what a login is, and the concept of a priviledged user vs.
> a regular user.

While of course I'd strongly recommend against this, I noticed when I was
tweaking gdm that it has an option to autologin a specified user on
startup.

The command "gdmconfig" fires up the graphical configurator for gdm.
There's
also a nice faces browser you can turn on here, then put face images in the
directory /usr/share/faces (you'll have to create the directory). The files
must be the user's login name, with no suffix ("jabr", not "jabr.jpg").
Then in the gdm login panel, you can click on the face instead of typing in
the login name. You still have to type your password, of course.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org