FBI seeks rerouting of certain traffic

Eric Raymond came to speak at NU the other day.  He gave his freedom
speach, which has changed greatly since 9/11.  He said so him self many
times.  One of the points he maid, that I had put together my self, is
that the US has not had any casulities on its on soil due to a war in over
100 years.  Intrestingly enough it was the war of 1812.

This is interesting as there is no one alive that can remeber the war  of
1812.  Politicians and agencies have no idea how to react to what has
happend - where should they go from here?

Heres my tid bit.  I have met several politicians in my short life.  I
wouldn't say alot but a few.  I have not met a politician I could ever
truly respect.  They all seem to be out for themselves, and only
that.  I'm sure there are a few good politicians, but all and all they
don't seem to want to take the time to be at least partially informed on
the matters they vote upon.  I think thats where we come in.  We as a
community of geeks tend to be rather reclusive, we stay to ourselves.  I
could be mistaken but if you like at university setting you will never
mistake a business major and comp major.  Its a fairly distinct
setting.  So its not all the politicians fault.  Who does the politician
have to bring s/he up to speed on matters of this nature.  Has any
politician heard of Alan Cox, or how he will not give out security
breaches to US citizens as it could violate the law.  Have they ever heard
of Theo de Raalt.  Have they heard of Linux, or any of the BSD's.  I would
say probably not.  I think what could happen, if it happens is partially
our fault.  We bitch about these laws - I see it on the UNIXies news
sites.  How many of us have told our politicians how wrong they are at
this point.  I certainly have not, and I would venture out so far as to
say you probably haven't either.  I highly doubt they read the news sites
we keep our browsers on.  So we are all to blame for what could happen.

Sorry for the long rant, I don't even know if its true.  At my first
glance it seems to be true.

Thanks,
Anthony