Monitors and power draw

There is always the opinions, It has long been a practice in the computer
industry to keep computers on 24X7. (Mainly because they were afraid
the computers would never be able to reboot).
The more sane  argument is that the temperature changes damage the
equipment, so that frequent power/on power/off cycles will shorten the life
of the equipment. PC shops generally turn their computers off because
Windows would never last the night without requiring a reboot.
Unix and VMS shops rarely turned off their desktop computers. Actually,
when I was working for HP at Raytheon, we were not allowed to turn off
our workstations. (And for the most part only the system management
team knew the root passwords).

In any event, with most of the systems we have today along with the
power management stuff keeping stuff on 24x7 should not be a major
cost issue.
On 16 Nov 2001, at 10:54, David Kramer wrote:

> I go to the other extreme as most people.  Since I'm into all the home
> automation stuff, I bring in a motion sensor and trigger my monitor and
> fan off of it.  They stay on for 20 minutes after the last movement
> sensed, to prevent bonking the monitor off and on every time I went for
> another caffeine injection or to speak to someone.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org