Red Hat 7.2

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Ron Peterson wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Brian J. Conway wrote:

> > I haven't used 7.2 myself, but I can tell you that LILO was replaced with
> > GRUB (LILO should be somewhere on the CD).  It's much more featureful than
> > LILO and has none of the limitations that LILO has or had.  I'd suggest
> > putting in the effort to learn GRUB, it's really an excellent bootloader,

> Does anyone know more about the development status of GRUB?  I've always
> wanted to try it, but I don't really have time for nosebleeds right now,
> so I've shied away.  I just found out it was the default on 7.2 yesterday
> while helping someone load up a new laptop.  I was a bit surprised.

I've been using it for months in Debian 2.2.

ii  grub           0.5.93.1       GRand Unified Bootloader

Grub is flashier than lilo, purports to handle more OSes,
but the main attraction for me is that is less likely that
I will run the setup program incorrectly by thinking I'm
in /dev/hda1(/etc) when I'm really in an alternate
installation /dev/sdb2(/etc).

The only bug, I've hit is the lack of a wrapper program that was
advertised in Linux Journal(IIRC) and poor docs.  The wrapper
provided two default options & params to a three option setup
program.  I suspect later versions have fixed this.

I haven't upgraded because the Debian packaging system is
seducing me, fighting me, or making me lazy.  In days gone
by I'd just install from a source tarball with little
difficulty.  Now with packaging, I would need to update "libc",
etc., etc., because the new version is made against a newer
version of the OS.  Since the dependencies are the real beauty
of the packaging system fudging them is not too appealing.

moan,grumble,grumble

rob                     Live the dream.