codered/nimda blocking

Hi all,

There has been a lot of discussion about the code red and nimda viruses,
but most of the solutions have been aimed at repairing and patching
infected computers. I have seen less emphasis on protecting networks from
virus traffic to non-vulnerable machines. At work, we run Solaris on Sun
boxes, and thus can't actually be infected by nimda and code red.
Additionally, most of our front-end web servers are behind a hardware load
balancer, and so the code red traffic doesn't actually get to them. But we
have a few more specialized servers that are load balanced, and they are
getting hit. Even though they are not vulnerable, the actual load from the
Code Red/Nimda traffic is so high that it is causing noticeable slowdowns
on those portions of our site that use those servers.

First I looked at Cisco's website and found that their routers are capable
of network-based application recognition, which allows them to intercept
packets based on application-layer content, and selectively refuse
connections:

Information on using NBAR/ACL's to block code red
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/nbar_acl_codered.shtml

Information on blocking Nimda
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/nimda.shtml

So we contacted our ISP (Genuity) and asked them if they could set this up
on our routers. They refused, saying that they didn't think the routers
were the right place to handle this problem, and suggested we set up a
firewall. (Why would Cisco give their routers this capability, then?)

We are now looking into the possibility of either including these other
servers in the load balancer, and having a one-to-one load balance set up (not
really a load balance, but it allows the traffic to pass through a
filtering device), or purchasing our own Cisco router to sit in front of
just the affected servers, and do the ACL/NBAR filtering ourselves.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation, and if so, what solutions
did you take?

Thanks,

Peter

--